HCJC 7azoo
the aNiMaLS
the zOOkEEpErs
what makes US 04S7A
HEAR US ROAR
Food web
Our Past
CIP
Friday, November 12, 2004 / 12:20 AM / Ivan

Yo people,

This is an update on CIP matters, and it's a LONG post.

1. The 30-Hour Famine camp which some of you inquired about is an annual event, and it was held during June this year, so the next camp will only be held next year.

2. I tried to search for CIP at children's home/orphanage, etc. but quite a number of them want adult volunteers (>18 yo) because they are afraid those younger might not be able to handle children. Some others want donations and not volunteers...

And to update those who did not attend the class chat the other day, we are intending to have some activities (treasure hunt, party, camp or something) with the kids at CAS, details to be finalised. Zejia is in charge btw, so you can ask him about it. I believe we have also decided to donate the money from the cookie sales to the ST Pocket Money Fund.

3. CIP @ Renci. Ok I know they already have a lot of help and some of you don't like old people, but it's the only organisation I have direct contacts with, and they have an established CIP unit which facilitates all admin matters, making things much easier. They also have a lot of experience hosting student volunteers (those looking for CIP hours to be crude...), and they are quite generous with hours, which is another reason why I chose Renci - to make it easier for you people to get your hours. Apart from that, there are many people there who genuinely need help, so it can be meaningful if you see beyond the hours.

Some of us are doing long-term CIP at Renci, and anyone is welcome to join. Just contact me and I can give you the details. As for the rest, I am organising a 5-day attachment thingie at Renci (near TTSH) during mid/late december and this should give you at least 30 CIP hours. You can have a say on what activities to organise and I will liaise with the volunteer IC there to finalise details asap.

This is purely voluntary, if you already have enough hours/other CIP activities then by all means don't participate. Those interested can SMS/email/call me. I will also post more details here or SMS you guys.

4. There might be a more interesting alternative, but the hours are not guaranteed. During the Nov/Dec school hols, you can volunteer with Heartware Org as a youth ambassador, and roam Orchard Road to get (convince, persuade, beg, etc.) others to volunteer with various voluntary welfare organisations like MINDS, or ask for donations. You can get up to 8 hours per day if you do both afternoon and evening shifts. I participated last year and accummulated 48 hours. It's really quite fun and you can know a lot of people from other JCs as well. Will update with more details once the liaison officer replies to my email.

Finally, my advice is that you try to pia finish your 80 CIP hours by end of this year since as we all know, next year is gonna be real hectic and you don't want to be distracted so much. Of course you can choose to continue beyond the 80 hours next year, but for those who intend to just finish the 80, these are the only (and last) CIP activities I am going to organise this year, so do try to participate actively in them.

Enjoy the hols, and volunteering!

World Peace.
-Ivan